Thursday, June 6, 2013

Bleaching and Watercoloring Tutorial


I know I've been posting a lot of cards with this technique, and I promise this is the last one.  It's just that I took sequential pictures of this one so I could post a tutorial for those of you who would like to see it.  I'm still learning about this blogging thing and keeping notes and taking pictures as I make cards is new for me.  If you like this kind of tutorial, please comment and let me know if I should post more like this.

First you have to find a cardstock that can be bleached out.  I used Stampin' Up Baja Breeze which bleached out almost to white!!  Next you stamp the image with Versamark and emboss it with white embossing powder.
























I used a blending pen and a little bowl of fresh bleach and painted in each area of the image.



















 I continued in this way until the entire image was bleached out.


















Next I made a palette for the colors I would use to paint with.  I put a sheet of white paper inside a sheet protector (to make the color more visible) and then colored on the sheet protector with Stampin' Up markers to complete my palette. 


















I used a round pointed paint brush, a little bowl of water and a paper towel folded into fourths.  I wet my brush, took off a little of the water by pressing it on the paper towel and then picked up some of the light gray ink.  I used light gray to paint the entire birdbath.  After cleaning my brush, I picked up some of the the darker gray and added it to the left side of the birdbath to make a shadow.


















I cleaned my brush with water and picked up some Green Galore ink and painted in all of the leaves  and some blades of grass at the base of the birdbath.  I cleaned my brush again and used some Garden Green ink to add a little shadow at the base of each leaf.  I also added some darker Garden Green blades of grass to add some depth to the grass.


















I continued in the same way painting in the flowers with Summer Sun.



















I like more than one color on everything so I added a little bit of Only Orange to the left side of each flower.



















Finally I colored in the little bird using Real Red and Only Orange.  I added some Summer Sun to the beak and tail feathers.



















Now the image is ready to make into a card.



















And here is how the card came out!





































If you found this tutorial helpful and would like me to post others, please leave a comment letting me know.  Thanks for visiting!

Love,
Janet

Supplies Used:
Stamps: Penny Black  - Nature's Wishes
Cardstock, Stampin' Up - Baja Breeze, Chocolate Chip & Real Red, 
                    Prima - Signs of Spring, 
                   Jillibean - Apple Cheddar Soup & Homemade 6 Bean Soup
Inks: Versamark
Markers: Stampin' Up - Going Gray, Basic Gray, Green Galore,
                 Garden Green, Summer Sun, Only Orange, Real Red
Dies: Spellbinder Petite Ovals SM & Petite Scalloped Ovals LG
          My Favorite Things - Button Border
Miscellaneous: Flower Punch, Martha Stewart Leaf Punch, Twine, rhinestone.


1 comment: